… when my mum told me she didn’t want to hold me after I was born, it was hard to take, to say the least. I was insecure enough as it was, but to hear that my own mother could not bear to look at me was … well, imagine how you might feel. I was hurt and felt rejected.
After a suicide attempt at the age of ten, Nick turned his disability into a motivation to spread the Christian gospel to all corners of the world.
There are other magical moments: a moment when a black child touches the strong man’s biceps and goes away believing he can become anything he wants, a moment when a crippled boy embraces the limbless man as though he were touching the face of God and a moment when the limbless man emerges from a stream into which he has fallen with the triumphant cry, ”I can swim!”
At the height of the Great Depression, the showman of a renowned circus discovers a man without limbs being exploited at a carnival sideshow, but after an intriguing encounter with the showman he becomes driven to hope against everything he has ever believed.
EXCERPT FROM STAND STRONG: YOU CAN OVERCOME BULLYING
Bullies want to abuse you. Instead of allowing that, you can use them as your personal motivators. Power up and let the bully eat your dust. In the pages that follow, I will help you build your antibully antibodies. This is a process that works by building strength from the inside out, from your deepest thoughts and feelings—your heart and soul—to the way you see the world, make decisions, and take actions. You build your bully defense system from the inside out by
1. Figuring out who you are so no bully can tell you
differently or make you feel badly;
2. Taking responsibility for your own behavior and happiness so bullies have no ultimate power over you;
3. Establishing strong values that no bully can shake;
4. Creating a safety zone within yourself where you can go mentally to draw strength and comfort;
5. Building strong and supportive relationships to stand up for you against bullies;
6. Learning to monitor and manage your responses to the emotions triggered by bullying;
7. Developing a spiritual foundation to help you be at peace and be strong against bullying;
8. Taking the opportunity to learn from your bullying experience so that you can become stronger, wiser, more confident, more faith filled, and more prepared to handle any challenges;
9. Creating your bully defense strategy so you are prepared to handle bullies of all kinds; and
10. Mastering empathy so you are aware of the needs of others and serve them whenever possible to help them overcome bullying.
Excerpted from Stand Strong by Nick Vujicic